Home Care Advice for Constipation
- Increase fruit juices (apple, pear, grape, cherry, prune). Citrus is not helpful
- High fiber foods (peas, beans, broccoli, apricots, peaches, pears, figs, prunes, and dates)
- Increase whole grains (bran flakes, bran muffins, graham crackers, oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pastas, and whole wheat bread)
- Decrease constipating foods (milk, ice cream, cheese, yogurt, and cooked carrots)
- Establish regular bowel habits, if toilet trained, by sitting on toilet for 10 minutes after meals, especially breakfast
- Consider mineral oil: 1 tablespoon 2-3 times/day in diluted juices (sometimes necessary for weeks-months)
Source: Barton Schmitt "Your Child's Health"